We are planning to offer the Dedicated Practitioners Course again sometime after July 2019. In order to know when we start collecting applications it is recommended that you subscribe to our newsletter here. This course is designed to give serious students the structure and support to deepen their practice, this 8-month interactive online course offers a disciplined framework for learning about and practicing meditation in the style of The Mind Illuminated, focusing specifically on stages one through six, while integrating the essential teachings of the Buddha Dharma in the form of the Noble Eightfold Path. This class is one of the prerequisites for teacher training classes with Culadasa.
We expect to start the next course between July and October of 2019, and we will start accepting application a couple of months before that.
8 months, 2 classes per month, 16 classes total
Structure of the Classes
- Class will meet for 1.5 hours online using the video conference platform Zoom
- Students will complete all assigned reading, listening, viewing prior to meeting so that class time can be used for active discussion
- Experienced Dharma Treasure teachers and teachers-in-training will teach the course, with the final class being led by Culadasa.
- Each student will have the opportunity to work with a mentor from the Dharma Treasure teacher training program — for regular meditation interviews and coursework support.
- Each class will be capped at 30 students
Tuition for the 8-month program is offered on a sliding scale. The cost for the 2019 course is TBD.
- Passion for meditation, in particular the Samatha-Vipassana technique presented in The Mind Illuminated
- Established regular meditation practice (at least 4 days per week for at least 30 minutes)
- Minimum of 7 days experience in residential silent intensive meditation retreat experience (this does not need to be consecutive days)
- Willingness to commit fully to this class and meet expectations listed below
- Course: Signed agreement committing to the 8-month program — including staying current with practices and question sets, coming to class prepared to discuss practice and reading, and not missing more than one class every 3 months
- Practice: Complete at least one hour per day of formal seated meditation practice using the technique or level from TMI specified in the curriculum (one of which will be a different guided meditation assigned each class)
- Practice: Complete at least three half-hour walking meditation sessions per week
- Practice: Optional monthly check-in with a mentor
- Assignments: Complete all coursework, estimated to be at least 3-4 hours per week — including listening to talks, studying, and completing question sets
- Community: Active participation in the online discussion forum between classes
- Community: Meet with an assigned “buddy group” composed of fellow students to discuss your practices and coursework
- Logistics: Ability to participate in an online course including Internet and email access, and computer with webcam or microphone (alternatively a telephone could be used)
If all expectations are met, at the end of the course participants will receive a certificate of completion — one of the requirements for applying to future teacher training courses with Culadasa (his health permitting).
|1||10/20||Introduction: Why Meditate, Four Noble Truths, How to Approach the Path|
|2||11/3||Overview of the 10 Stages & 1st Interlude: Attention & Awareness|
|3||11/17||Stage 1: Establishing a Practice & 2nd Interlude: Hindrances|
|5||1/5||Wisdom Pillar: Right View & Right Intention|
|7||2/2||Walking Meditation (Appendix A) & Mindfulness in Daily Life|
|9||3/2||Virtue Pillar: Right Speech, Action, Livelihood|
|10||3/16||3rd Interlude: How Mindfulness Works & Mindful Review (Appendix E)|
|11||4/6||4th Interlude: Moments of Consciousness|
|13||5/4||5th Interlude: Mind System Model|
|14||5/18||Brahmavihara: Divine Abodes & Metta Practice (Appendix C)|
|16||6/15||Q&A with Culadasa|
Jeremy Graves and another teacher (TBD) will co-teach the morning class, while Jeremy and Eve Smith will co-teach the afternoon class. Blake Barton will serve as support for both sections, and provide some video lectures.
- Eve Smith has been practicing yoga, dharma, and meditation for over 10 years. She began studying with Culadasa in 2009 and will complete the two-year Teacher Training Program in 2018. Eve lives in New York and has worked as a strategy director at a creative agencies and taught branding and communications at Parsons. She is passionate about balancing practice and life — and blurring the lines between the two.
- Jeremy Graves is a meditation, mindfulness, and Dharma educator. Along with Culadasa and Matthew Immergut Ph.D., he co-authored The Mind Illuminated. Jeremy has been meditating since 2002 and has accumulated nearly two years of intensive retreat experience. He is also a pianist and published poet.
- Blake Barton is one of the first graduates of Culadasa’s intensive four-year teacher training program. A Dharma practitioner since 2001, he has studied closely with Culadasa for over a decade and teaches regularly at Tucson Community Meditation Center. His practice of voluntary simplicity allowed him to retire early from a career in programming and dedicate his life to spiritual practice and service. Students appreciate his precise understanding of meditation and his grounded, calm, and welcoming demeanor.
We are offering the opportunity to audit the course for a limited number of students. This would be appropriate for students who are not available on Saturdays and do not wish to continue on to the Teacher Training course with Culadasa. The details for auditing follow.
Must be accepted to the course like everyone else
Must meet all requirements except attending the live class (like meditation)
Complete a statement of why he/she wants to audit instead of fully participating
Fee is 80% of regular course fee
Auditing will not count as prerequisite for Teacher Training class
Access to live class recordings — audio
Access to all course materials
Access to Mentors — one-on-one, but not office hours, Dana to support mentors requested
Agrees not to share the course materials.
No access to live class video discussions
No access to buddy groups
No access to mentor office hours
No access to the course online forum / discussion
No prerequisite credit toward Teacher Training with Culadasa
The application deadline for the course was September 15th, 2018 at 11:00 PM Pacific Standard time. The teachers will make the final selections by September 29th, 2018 and you will be informed if you are accepted on that date.
For questions about the course or the application process please contact Blake at email@example.com