Located in the Dragoon Mountains of southeast Arizona, this wilderness retreat has long been considered sacred — first by the Chiricahua Apaches and later by hundreds of meditators grateful to sit in this quiet canyon.
Today, the Dharma Treasure Retreat at Cochise Stronghold welcomes spiritual sojourners from all traditions, while providing support in the spirit of Culadasa and the naturalized Buddha-Dharma he has helped to elevate in the West.
Cochise Stronghold is a magnificent natural wonder. Granite peaks rise to the east, south and west, spotted with chromatic, lichen-covered boulders, precariously balanced rocks, and charismatic formations that take on a life of their own. An evergreen juniper and oak forest grows below, providing shelter for abundant wildlife including javelina, deer and hundreds of species of birds. A seasonal stream flows from mountain top pools down through the canyon. Sharing a border with the Coronado National Forest, hiking and horse trails surround the retreat center and snake up into the mountains for miles.
Originally the home of Culadasa and his wife Nancy, the 5-acre site has evolved over time and includes a main house, guest house, two yurts, along with a workshop, free-standing kitchen and bath, outdoor compostable toilets, outdoor solar shower, and hot tub. Great care has been taken to ensure the environmental sustainability of the site and surrounding forest.
The retreat center is located 90 minutes from the Tucson Airport, 45 minutes from Benson & Willcox, and 20 minutes from the small village of Sunsites. While remote, we are part of a close-knit rural community.
Retreat Manager Position
Dharma Treasure is seeking a full-time on-site retreat manager (or managerial couple or duo) to oversee retreat center operations and sustain it as a welcoming and serene space for serious meditators. This is an incredible opportunity to contribute to a growing community, while living and working in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Given its remote location and support of resident meditators in noble silence, this position is ideal for rare, warm individuals seeking a quiet lifestyle.
Requires strong emotional intelligence and discretion, great organizational and people skills, agility in balancing multiple priorities. A high level of integrity, ethics, collaboration, multi-tasking, flexibility, equanimity, compassion and patience!
- Responsively manage all retreat center communications via email, text and phone
- Respond to retreat inquiries, with proficiency using a Macbook computer
- Manage both group and individual bookings
- Coordinate and assist Resident Teachers
- Keep simple income and expenses records using Quickbooks on a PC
- Maintain, organize, and update procedural manuals (retreat & site management)
- Assist in the promotion, public relations and marketing of the retreat center
- Work closely with the Dharma Treasure Executive Director
Retreat Management Duties
- Assist in all aspects of solo and group meditation retreats at Cochise Stronghold
- Provide a warm welcome, detailed orientation and ongoing onsite support for retreatants and resident teachers
- Oversee grocery shopping for retreatants and resident teachers (self or volunteer/contracted help)
- Coordinate transportation needs of those arriving for longer term stays
- Assign and coordinate retreatant on-site service projects
Site Management Duties
- Ensure site safety and cleanliness at all times
- Maintain a warm, welcoming, and inviting atmosphere
- Follow or oversee seasonal site maintenance schedule
- Oversee and coordinate the work of part-time employees, contract workers and volunteers
- Oversee the maintenance of buildings, equipment, grounds, gardens and permaculture systems
- Make trips to Sunsites and Tucson as necessary for mail, banking and errands
- Serve as the contact person and Dharma Treasure representative to the larger community including neighbors, firewise, and service
- Passion for meditation, spiritual practice and mindful living
- Personal experience with silent meditation retreat
- Excellent communication, hospitality, and customer service skills
- Ability to problem solve and oversee maintenance and landscaping tasks
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of part-time employees, contract workers, and volunteers
- Strong drive, initiative, and resourcefulness
- Warm heart and sincere desire to be of service
- College degree and/or experience in an office environment
- Practical abilities and computer skills
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Desire for the position to be long-term
- Comfortable lodging, including utilities and cell phone; work use of vehicle
- Modest salary commensurate with skills and experience
- Stipend to purchase health insurance through the ACA exchange
- Paid time off in the month of July
- Regular meditation interviews with Upasaka Culadasa and Resident Teachers
We will be accepting applications through August 15th, 2018 or until the position is filled. The start date will be around October 1st, 2018.
To apply please fill out the following online application form.
If you have any questions, please direct them to email@example.com.